I have more than 20 years of expertise as a staff developer in public and private schools and school districts in the New York Metropolitan Area and around the country.
Topics of expertise include:
- Implementing reading and writing workshops
- Developing a balanced literacy framework
- Writing rigorous and comprehensive units of study
- Teaching academic vocabulary
- Interactive read-aloud
- Guided reading
- Launching and raising the level of book clubs
- Unison reading
- Implementing joyful, systemic phonics instruction, including Fundations.
- Developing a differentiated, individualized spelling program, including Words Their Way
- Teaching non-fiction reading and writing
- Meeting and exceeding the Common Core State Standards
- Developing a dialogic community
- Teaching the reading and writing of poetry
- Integrating technology to expand literacy learning
- Using formative and summative assessments in language arts classrooms to guide instruction and develop students' agency.
- Using reader response notebooks in creative and innovative ways